Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fashion Icon? I think NOT.

Today was the Inauguration of President Barrack Obama. I must say that I was impressed with his speech and with the way he carried himself. I spent some time watching the news and listening to the radio so that I could be updated on today's events. One thing that has surprised me since the beginning of the election is how the media has focused so much on Michelle Obama's style. Even NPR has spent a lot of time on the topic. So, here is my question? Are we watching the same woman?

Don't get me wrong, Our new First Lady is beautiful. But she is no fashionista. Ill give her props for her fashion philosophy. She loves everything from H&M and JCrew to Zac Posen and isn't afraid to mix and match name brand with no brand. But shes getting too much credit. The media keeps commenting on how well she dresses AND that shes able to do it being 5'11- like she is the only one who has been able to pull that off. We know shes the first black first lady- but she is not the first tall women to dress well! In fact, I can think of a lot of models that dress better and are even taller. She's only about an inch taller than me, and I get no credit! Wheres the media when I get up and walk out the door everyday?

When I think "Fashion Icon" I picture women like Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, and Elizabeth Taylor to name a few. Michelle Obama is being to compared to my number 1 favorite, Jackie O! Now that is just SACRILEGIOUS!


SIDE NOTE:
Michelle's white dress she chose for the Inauguration Ball was a very good choice, and her arms looked very toned. BUT still, shes no Jackie!

4 comments:

Natalie and Boys said...

I love Jackie. Michelle is not her!!! I agree Brit.

Collie Dawgs said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! You are amazing cousin!

Schurtz Family said...

How come you're so cute? I saw Nats post about your blog and had to check it out. I'll have to read this more often, you're the cutest girl!!!
BTW, totally agree with the whole Jackie/Michelle thing. Did you see what she was wearing the night Obama won the election? What was Narciso Rodriguez on when he designed that dress? And why did she wear it? I'm with ya, she's definitely no Jackie!!!

Karemom said...

You are so right on! Michelle O is no Jackie O. By the way, "Freezie" was my nickname in high school and my old high school friends still call me that, hence the posting name that started on a high school BF blog. Here's the funny part though, I got the name from wearing short skirts (freezie knees-got shortened to just Freezie). Anyway I love reading your blog!
Love,
Karen